First I would like to say that I worked out this evening, then went straight to the restaurant where I was given 2 glasses of wine...I should have had more water at the gym. Bottom line...I am slightly buzzed, so forgive any typos or disoriented words.
 |
| curry combo plate |
I did the lunch service again today. It was really fun! Chef Jen seems to have a lot of trust in my skills, because she often leaves me alone up front plating food. We were quiet until around 12 pm, when we got a 9 top (9 person seating). It was 9 women who seemed to be really enjoying each others company. The afternoon was pretty good overall, and best of all, I learned how to make more curry and paneer! It was so easy to make it was hard to believe. After the lunch rush, I was able to to have saag paneer, daal, raj madal, and tikka masala. It was delicious! It is great learning all these new recipes. I never thought I would be learning several Indian recipes while was here.
 |
| Peach Torte |
Another great part of today was...we finally got PEACHES!! And I finally was able to make the peach upside down cake. Of course I was nervous, concerned that the cake would not go over well. So, I did it...I made it. It came out of the oven fine. It was looked great. We let it cool, then I asked Chef Eric if we could see how it would be plated. So, we plated it, with whipped cream and a spoonful of caramel for garnish. We (the wait staff, me, and LJ) taste it with the garnish, and it is good. Then, Chef Eric says we wants to try something, and grabs a bottle of Grand Marnier. He drizzles a bit over the slice, and it was amazing! Just the right addition, that I knew Chef Eric would bring to the cake. Oh, and also I managed to make a great batch of creme brulee, without incident! :)
Later, I came back to the restaurant, and I didn't want to walk in and start asking if the cake was selling, so I just sat back and waited to see if any of the restaurant guests ordered to the cake. Well, on my way back to the kitchen to help with the dishes, I noticed that half the cake was gone! And then, LJ informed me that they had not served any of the other cakes (honey cake and flourless chocolate). Just the creme brulee and the Peach Torte! Yes, they changed the name to Peach Torte, which, I admit, sounds much more classy than peach upside down cake! And Teresa, the sommelier in training, paired it with a lovely French dessert wine called Quarts de Chaume, which had a peach finish. It was so good! Oh, and to top everything off, mid way through dinner service when I was walking by Chef Eric he says that I need to write down the recipe for the cake because they want to continue to make it! I thought we was kidding, well, its hard to know when he is being sarcastic or serious. But he was serious, and now, I need to write the recipe down, and it will be served from now on at the Cooks' House! :) I must admit, that really makes me proud!
 |
| Jeremy and Kim |
Today was great, and I look forward to my last couple of nights working the dinner service! I took a picture of Jeremy, LJ, and Kim (the intern chef who works the lunch service). They have taught me a lot, and have been really great to work with!
 |
| LJ |
More tomorrow...I think I will have to make another cake for dinner!
Dude, you are doing what I would never have the courage to do. You go girl!!!
ReplyDeleteI didn't think I had the courage either! This has been an awesome experience!
ReplyDeleteNow you can say "as featured in..." Nice job, friend!
ReplyDelete