It was a bittersweet day; I am looking forward to being back in Seattle, but I am also sad to be leaving Traverse City. It is a great city, but, above all, I so enjoyed my time at the Cooks' House. This was truly a great experience for me. Lunch service was busy, and I was left alone quite a bit with the intern Chef Kim to take care of orders. I was still just plating food and preparing salads, but after being here for two weeks, it felt really natural, and I knew what I was doing. That was a good feeling. Chef Jen even asked me to stay another week, which, if I could really make that happen, I might have!

I made my last Peach Torte, and it even showed up on the menu today as "Kintea's Super-Duper Peach Tort". It was mostly gone this evening after dinner service, and one table asked to meet me when they found out I made the cake! And one of the owners of one of the local winery's here (one that I visited, Brys Estates) had a piece to celebrate his birthday, and said he loved it! That really felt good! It is always a good feeling when people enjoy your food!
Well, I came in the front door tonight (instead of through the kitchen where the staff usually enters) and sat down to have dinner. Obviously, I have been eating there the whole time, but I had not actually had a reservation and sat down at a table for dinner since I've been here. I had dinner with Chef Eric's mother, who is visiting, and his son Calvin. Chef Eric even came over to have some food and wine with us. I had the 7 course meal with wine pairing! It was delicious of course. It was different, however, after working in the kitchen for the last couple of weeks. I had a better appreciation for the food, both because I know how much effort goes into every detail of the food, and because I know how hard everyone in the restaurant is working to make sure that the experience is the best it can be. I have so much respect for the kitchen staff -- Jeremy, the Sous Chef; LJ, the Garde Manger; Kim, the intern culinary student; Devon and Jake, the dish washers and overall kitchen helpers, Theresa, the restaurant manager, and Sommelier in training, the wait staff -- Jason, Janelle, Mary, Chelsey, Calvin, and Jessica. Everyone in the restaurant works really hard to deliver the experience that Chef Eric and Jen want their patrons to have -- the experience of eating great, high quality local and sustainable food, and really enjoying it. I truly enjoyed being apart of that experience both in the kitchen and in the dining room. I certainly will never forget it!The things I learned my last day at the Cooks' House:
- The Chef(s) is(are) always right!
- After the Chef, the Sous Chef is always right!
- A 7 course meal is A LOT of food!
I am grateful to the Chef's and staff at the Cooks' House for their patience and encouragement! It meant a lot to me, and I will never forget this time I spent in Traverse City! I met some pretty great people, and I hope to come back here again in the future!
And thanks to all of you, my friends and family, who followed me through this journey by reading my blog, and for your support and encouragement. I am so blessed to have all of you behind me! Now, I ask that you keep pushing me forward as I begin to attain my dreams when I get home. I am going to need all the support I can get! :)
![]() |
| Fairy Squash soup |
![]() |
| Roasted rabbit w/ chocolate, honey, hops, and oats -- yummy! |






No comments:
Post a Comment